The Vision of the Heritage Coast Partnership is to guide the long term management of the coastal zone.
Integrated management of Durham Heritage Coast by and for local communities, which protects the natural and cultural integrity of the area whilst developing and meeting the area’s social and economic needs.
A new Heritage Coast Management Plan 2018-2025 has been developed to guide the work of the Partnership.
To achieve this vision the Partnership have adopted the following key objectives to guide management of the Heritage Coast:
- To conserve, protect and enhance the natural beauty of the coast, including the terrestrial, littoral and marine flora and fauna, geological interest, and its heritage features of architectural, historical and archaeological interest.
- To facilitate and enhance the enjoyment, understanding and appreciation of the public by improving and extending opportunities for recreational, educational and tourist activities, including sport and art, that draw on, and are consistent with the conservation of its natural beauty and the protection of its heritage features.
- To maintain, and improve the environmental health of inshore waters affecting the Heritage Coast and its beaches through appropriate works and management.
- To take account of the needs of agriculture, forestry and fishing, and the economic and social needs of the small communities on the coast, by promoting sustainable forms of social and economic development, which in themselves conserve and enhance natural beauty and heritage features.
- To promote community participation in the stewardship of the coast, optimising the potential of social and economic regeneration initiatives that are consistent with the conservation of the natural beauty and the protection of the heritage features of the Heritage Coast.
- To integrate fully with adjoining areas and within the region to actively promote Integrated Coastal Zone Management.